Total Pageviews

Tuesday 2 August 2011

Drum roll...

Prezi is great.  It allows you to create a really different type of presentation from PowerPoint or Slideshare.  Since it's currently a novelty presentation tool, I suspect as time goes on we'll all calm down a bit and find them a bit mundane.  There's nothing about prezi that makes it better, but an engaging presentation is a successful one.  For now, however, they are hot!

I do have some criticisms though.  Like Frankenstein's monster it sometimes seems to have a life of its own.  We all know the saying about the bad workman blaming his tools, and I'm sure that's what I am about to do, but it's not always the most intuitive thing to use.

1. I don't understand the lack of spell check.  This is a reckless assumption that we can spell, and frankly it's not one of my key strengths.  It came as a surprise to me when my boyfriend pointed out that I had the word oppountiy (opportunity) in my presentation.  When you are creating a presentation for other people to take information away from, the need for accuracy is even greater. 

2. I don't see the sense in a lack of standardised text sizes.  In a couple of instances I created two text boxes for one frame and found that it was ACTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE to get both blocks of text the same size.  Who's crazy idea was that?

The great drawback of Prezi is that it takes a long time.  I found the information on the website very useful, the videos explaining how to use (the strangely named) 'Zebra' were really helpful.  Actually getting down to learning, however, is very much trial and error.  I discovered that creating a plan on paper of the route helps and avoids too much nauseating zooming and gave my presentation coherence.

The pressure to make a good prezi is phenomenal because they are still a novelty, and the brave presenters who are putting them out on the internet are good at using this type of tool.  Mine is far from perfect, it has room for improvement and any input on how I could make it better would be welcome.  I will happily update this. 

For now, though, without further ado, I present my offering.  I hope anyone wanting to be a trainee, or my replacement trainee on September 1st at City will find this a valuable thing to watch.


2 comments:

  1. Great! I like your images and the use of a wordle cloud at the end to add thanks. Try and cut down the amount of text though, or break it into smaller chunks.
    You make some good points about prezi, perhaps it's because it is a less formal tool than ppt. Like anythign it just takes a few goes and you'll get the hang of it.
    The good thing is that even though you have embedded your prezi, you can make changes to it and these will automatically be refelected, you don't have to reload stuff into your blog
    Lots of good points and useful advice in your prezi though!

    Rowena 23 Things Team

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the way you've done the photos, Oli! It's great - having 'em tilted like that takes advantage of the preziness but because the text is straight and you've used frames, you don't get that slightly wobbly zoominess that people complain about.

    I'm also going to disagree with Rowena *ducks flying objects* - I don't think having a few paragraphs of text is a problem. If you were going to present it in person, then I'd agree w/Rowena that smaller chunks/bullets better - but for embedding prezis for static info I don't mind it.

    Also - driveby linkage -
    - CPD25's main website - I'll give you the link to next year's Applying to Library School Conference when I've got it! :D

    (Not that I've got a vested interest or anything)

    ReplyDelete