Total Pageviews

Friday 24 June 2011

CSS suxx, RSS doesn't

Day 10 - Thing 6 is to set up a Google Reader but I already have one.  Instead of blogging about my experience of setting it up I think it would be better to blog about how RSS makes the constant flow of information coming onto the web manageable.

I think my Google Reader is quite simply fantastic.  It brings information together in one place.  ALERT!  Avid readers, I know you'll be tutting right now, because I was a little uncharitable about igoogle which also brings things together in one place.  However, the astute reader will recognise that the main thrust of yesterday was that igoogle is an unnecessary gimmick, whereas RSS is not so frivolous.  Google reader looks quite boxy and austere but that suits it's character because it has a serious academic function.  You can find a rolling information source just once, and rather than bookmark it you can add the RSS to your reader.  You see the content and maintain the link, you can assess it as you go along and ditch it later if it proves untrustworthy.  You can follow information on sites that you normally wouldn't visit, your reader doesn't let you forget!  Google reader is the internet users personal magazine.  You are the editor, you can make it as high or low brow as you wish; it's your news, you choose.

I use my reader in a predominantly professional way.  It's where I read CILIP news and library blogs (including all of my fellow 23thingscity bloggers contributions (thing 7 - tick!)).  I also RSS my Library Elf account to ensure I don't get fines at my public library.  I also use it satisfy my interest in architecture and the media and politics.  RSS is bookmarking plus.  Whenever you find a website that updates, RSS is there to keep you linked to it via your reader and brings you the information directly.  The only thing I will grumble about is my reader's constant alerts of information...with numbers of unread articles.  I don't like that, because sometimes an RSS feed is just going to churn so much out, you would never have time to read it all.

2 comments:

  1. Yes! That's just how I feel about it - "RSS is bookmarking plus" and "your reader doesn't let you forget!". I use it for a mix of personal, work and academic interest and it's just like having a personalised internet, plus LOADS of photos of kittens: win-win.

    It did take a while for me to get over the pressure of Unread Items but now I'm over it, they're not the boss of me - it's great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yey glad you like rss! The trouble is remembering to look at your feed reader, but it does take a massive amount of traffic away from my email inbox, which is already overloaded.

    You don't have to read every post, but at least you've been alerted to the fact that something new has happened and sometimes that's the key thing.

    Rowena 23 things team

    ReplyDelete